Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Overcoming Failures

I have encountered many academic conflicts over the years. One of them was when I kept doing really bad on my history tests. The part that I had the most trouble with was the multiple choice questions. My teacher would try to help me out as much as she could, but I really needed to find out why I was studying and still doing badly. When this was happening, I didn't know why, and I kept making this mistake. I worked with the teacher, after almost every test, but I still had trouble with it. I would go in before hand too to get different studying tools, but none of them worked because my study skills was not the issue. Needless to say, I didn't get a good grade in that class.

The year that this was a prominent issue, I didn't have time to figure out what went wrong. By the end of the year I figured it out and applied it to test taking and everyday life. The problem I was having was second guessing myself. When it was multiple choice, I would second guess every decision I made. It was good that this issue came up before high school so that I had a chance to fix it before it really mattered. Before I fixed this problem, I had realized how it applied to other academic classes as well. Like when I wanted to raise my hand in class, but I wouldn't, in other words, I had a confidence issue when it came to my academic studies. I have overcome this in every aspect of my life once I got to the source of my problem.

Looking back on this experience I realize how much low confidence affects school work. I think I had the right mind set for this situation, but I didn't know how to improve. The more I didn't do well on my tests the more my confidence levels would drop, and the problem kept persisting. I think in the end I handled this bump pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment