Personally for me, it's really hard to study after 5:00. The more tired I get, and the more time I take for breaks, the harder it is to get back into my work. One of the most effective ways I have learned to study, is to do the majority of it during the day (my free periods, lunch, etc.)
I'm more of a visual learner, so I like to have everything I need to know laid out in front of me, and organized. I like to feel in control of the way I learn, so I like to make checklists. I write the checklist during the day, and try to complete the bulk of it as soon as I can. This study skill helps me a lot because it helps me destress by just knowing what I have to get done.
There is no singular activity or project that I am most proud of. I'm most proud of my academic life as a whole. Stress always gets the better of me, and I start to focus on how much homework I have rather than the actual homework itself. This year I have found techniques to calm myself down, and get done what has to be done.
Before I came to high school, I didn't know how I was going to handle it, but I quickly learned that I could do whatever I wanted as long as I set my mind to it. I am proud of myself for figuring out how to manage my time. I'm still working on procrastination though. I never knew I could do so well in my academic life while keeping up with my social life, my family, and my hobbies.
By finding what works well for me, I also found what doesn't work well for me. Over the last couple days, I saw myself getting a lot more homework done at night time. I always thought the reason why I couldn't work late was because I had a form of ADHD, but my phone and my laptop were confiscated yesterday, and I got a lot of work done. This shows that one study skill that doesn't work for me is any study habit near a phone or a computer.
This class has helped a lot with my focusing skills, especially the application "Stay Focused". This application really helped me by not letting me go on websites like Netflix, and YouTube. I used to think that I could focus with Netflix playing, or with music blasting, but I tried blocking those websites, and I got more done in a shorter amount of time. Without this class I wouldn't know my strengths, and my weaknesses, and I wouldn't know all the different ways I can study.
One thing I need to work on for the next semester is procrastination. I will do this by trying out different ways off working, and see if it will make me stay focused for longer, and start working earlier. Procrastination has always been a problem for me, but this semester I'm going to fix it.


No comments:
Post a Comment